Friday, November 9, 2007

Halloween

Apparently Halloween has only existed in Chile for the last 10 years or so ... very slowly catching on according to my program director because of US movies and TV.
Well, that didn't mean I wasn't going to dress up in my cat ears! I quickly learned though that it isn't really a holiday for the older kids or anyone close to college age ...
It was definitely a gringo night, with a whole lot of my program friends and then a bunch of international students. There isn't a whole lot to tell, we all went to a friends house, which of course was costume only to enter or they could provide costumes (read: gory t-shirts) ...
My friends all dressed up and a few were expecially funny ... my friends Eliza and Lauren as Chileans which meant they spoke with all the Chilean slang and wore barrettes in their hair along with wildly bright colors. My friends Jess and Monty who both dressed up as Michelle Bachelet, Chilean President, and both did a pretty incredible job of pulling it off. At first I was worried if they were going to get hassled by other Chileans but she isn't so popular so it would kind of be like dressing up as George W in 2005.
We all decided to go to a popular dance club in Valpo and after Lauren somehow got us all past a block long line we danced the night away : ) The best part of Halloween in Chile being that they celebrate All Saints Day on Nov. 1st and no one has classes or work. Our program headed to La Serena for the weekend and had a really great time but I will have to wait to upload pictures ... technical difficulties.
Until then ... off to see more ...

No comments: