Sunday, December 2, 2007

from Puerto Montt

Well it's not much of a town ... but tomorrow I will hop aboard the Navimag!

--- THE BOAT HAS BEEN DELAYED ... WE ARE GETTING ON TUESDAY ---



I'm traveling with my friend Lauren right now as we had met up in Pucón on Wednesday.




Pucón was AMAZING!

Volcan Villarica --
this picture was probably taken in January, right now there is a lot more snow



I met some amazing people and the hostel I stayed in turned out to be the best part of the trip. I can't upload photos right now but basically for those of you in Oregon ... it was basically the most beautifully scenic part of Oregon you could find. It is on a lake and a volcano is the backdrop.


After having not booked a bus ticket in advance I had to hop around before getting there but ... 12 hours later I made it and met up with Lauren. We had a big lunch and decided to go out riding bikes. The trail the tour agency gave us was apparently what everyone does, and very calm ... 25 miles later ... wow, we're talking gravel hills ... eehh, but we made it to these beautiful waterfalls and the scenery for the entire ride was amazingly serene so it was definitely worth it.



Los Ojos del Cabargua




I took the next day off and just explored a bit more of the city. I caught up on reading and figured out my plans for when I get off the boat ... heading into the park for probably four days and then making my way to the end of the world!! Tierra del fuego and Ushuaia in Argentina.

My favorite part of the trip was going down the river in a ducky!! It's an inflatable kayak, so it's more exciting then going rafting because you are in control of everything and wow ... it was such a good time. Of course I flipped over three times going through the rapids but, twice I made it down dry and one time everyone else in the group flipped except for me!!

I was also lucky enough to have as a guide a guy I had met in my hostal. He is from Oregon and just taking a break from school to kayak all over. Well to sum it up, it was verry nice to have met him and especially helpful getting down the river!

The other amazing part of my hostal was a group of Australians who were there the whole time I was and I ended up getting to know them pretty well. Next time I'm in Melbourne I'll definitely try to catch up with them : )

Keep in mind that I had booked this hostal alone and wasn't sure how it was going to be ... seems like I lucked out quite a bit ... five 20 year old aussies and one 21 year old oregonian. Pretty much an ideal situation : )

Our last night in Pucón we did natural hot springs from 9-11pm under an amazing sky of stars and headed back to the hostal for a bit of a night on the town. Well, it's not a big town but we managed to go out pretty big. We went to the local bar which is surprisingly modern and ended up dancing the night away at a discoteca outside of the city. When we left the dancing was still going like crazy but the aussies were pretty tired from climbing the volcano ... it was 5am when we got in the cab. Of course getting up to hop on the bus that morning was less than enjoyable but it was well worth it.

Ohh ... such a nice start to the trip. Hopefully getting onto the boat, eventually, will be just as great. I'm already missing Pucón : )



Ducky!!!



No comments: